Saturday, March 08, 2008

geeky stuff

Many years ago, when I was at school, I was never very good at exams. I used to study like mad and just manage to pass, so I used to get really annoyed with my friends who got really good results but weren't happy with them. But, just lately, I've found myself doing exactly the same!

I'm doing a couple of IT courses through The Open University. A week ago, I got my first assignment back for one of the courses - 88%. I should be happy with that, right? But I'm not. Why not? Because three of the questions were based around general study, following instructions and communicating with others studying the same course. I did well in those questions. But the fourth question was around technical stuff I'd learnt so far on the course. That question I didn't do so well in. So I find myself being annoyed that I didn't put enough effort into that one question.

Then today I get a third assignment from the other course back - 85%. Again, I should be happy, especially considering I was hoping to get about 75% for this assignment. The thing is, I got 94% and 91% for my two previous assignments but the third one was much harder. I had to write a whole lot of javascript code. I considered giving up many times, and there were a few tears as I sat at my desk despairing of ever finishing this assignment.

I did finish it and got more than I'd hoped for so why am I upset? Because it turns out that I missed the last question. I lost out on 12 marks. If I'd done that question I would have probably got over 90% again. So again I find myself annoyed for not checking that I'd answered every single question.

And on a completely unrelated topic, I'm typing this wearing a old pair of glasses with an old prescription in them, so you'll have to excuse any typos that I don't notice!

I got new glasses in December which were meant to have transitions lenses in them. Turns out they didn't so today I took them back in to get new transition lenses put in them. I have contact lenses but I don't get on with them (can't see my screen clearly enough with them in) but I put them in for a couple of hours so I didn't have to stand in the shop unable to see while they fixed my glasses. A little while ago I took my lenses out and popped my glasses on only to find I couldn't see a thing! I can see better without the glasses on! Not sure what has happened but that isn't my prescription in those glasses.

Which leaves me with a) glasses I can't see a thing out of, b) contact lenses that I can't see clearly enough with to work, and c) the glasses I am wearing now which have the old prescription in them.

So, after going to the dentist on Monday for a filling, I will be heading back to the optician to see what they have to say about my glasses before I go into work.

I really didn't need this. I have enough on with visits to the dentist (have to go back again soon to have a tooth pulled out which is bothering me a little) and doctor required without the added hassle of not being able to see clearly!

What I really need is some good news...please!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Monica!

Just thought I'd say 'hi' as I don't think my emails are getting through!

SueC