Sunday, August 13, 2006

Cleaning

I must be feeling ill. I have a new laptop but instead of spending the weekend playing with it, I spent yesterday cleaning. Why? It all started because my husband asked me to find the user guides for the old laptop because apparently someone might want to buy it. So I looked. And looked. And looked. In the end we came to the conclusion that we must have decided the old laptop was so old when we got it that we'd never sell it and probably threw them out.

But the looking reminded me that our place was covered in dust. Literally covered it in. When I'm writing or studying I can normally get away with a quick clean every now and then. I mean, I have an excuse. I'm busy! But yesterday, having soaked in the bath and made myself clean, I decided to clean the house.

It started with in the bedroom with the windowsils and bedside cabinets. Then I progressed into the bathroom - which wasn't as bad as it could have been since I'd washed the floor last weekend! After that I moved into the lounge. I have a terrible sense of smell so I couldn't smell the cleaness of the disinfectant but I did have a satisfied smile on my face a the end of it...until I got up this morning and saw all the fluff all over the lounge floor from that beanbag. How much fluff can a beanbag create? We must have had it for a month now. Surely it's got to stop moulting at some stage?

Anyway, so I felt virtuous yesterday. It might have lasted today if only I'd done that assignment. I swear I meant to but it just didn't happen. I'll try to do it this week. I did get all my research for Ladies Who Lunch (my allotment ms) out of the box file I'd hidden it away in and located some stuff for No Maternal Bones (which is the single title that's really calling at me at the moment).

But, if I'm going to be honest (and if I can't be honest on my blog, what's the point in having one?) the story I'm really dying to work on is called The Husband Hunt. It was originally written with M&B Tender in mind but I never actually submitted it because the line changed direction and The Husband Hunt no longer fitted. But it had a kind of Modern X feel to it. It only needs 16,000 words and I'm due a response on Tarts any day soon so I'm keen to get this ms completed so I've got another partial ready to send on in.

But right now, as always, I'm going to watch another episode of Bones. Purely for research purposes.

No comments: