Thursday, September 14, 2006

hm&b rejection

I came home tonight totally fired up to complete two assignments. But somehow I don't think I'm going to be studying tonight.

Instead, I'm sitting on the sofa with a rejection letter next to me. Yes, M&B rejected Tarts Inc. But it was one of those "good" rejections. I submitted my first ms to M&B in June 2003. Since then every single rejection letter I've received has been personal and I've always been sent a comps slips signed by the editor asking for me to send something new directly in to her. I've always been told comps slips are like gold dust.

I have another comps slip. That's the good part.

And it was another personal rejection letter - not a form rejection - so that's another good thing.

The editor said my premise was interesting and quite ambitious but the scenario was over complicated, and that there was a danger that the reader would not be able to identify with the heroine because they didn't get a clear sense of who she was because she was posing as somebody else.

However, my sensual tension is great and they look forward to hearing from me in the near future.

Hahahaha! The near future? I don't have another single thing that I can send them. I'm all M&B'd out.

OK, so maybe I'm not totally M&B'd out. I do have that ms I was freaking out about a few weeks back that I kind of like and haven't submitted anywhere but feel like it's missing something. I'll send it to my cp tonight along with an angsty email explaining what I don't like about it and see what she has to say.

And I do have a plot for a new M&B Modern Extra but it's many many many months away from being completed (or even started, for that matter) due to exams etc.

Anyway, the plus side is that I have a single person version of Tarts that I really enjoyed working on (unlike the M&B version which was like getting blood from a stone) and I'd talked to my cp about submitting it to Little Black Dress recently. Well, now I can. I'm kind of excited about that...at the same time as feeling a little sad that I've got yet another rejection letter.

6 comments:

Christina Phillips said...

Aww Monica (((HUGS))) on the rejection. So sorry about that. But at least they gave reasons as to why Tarts didn't quite fit their line. Best of luck with LBD. I remember you telling me how much you enjoyed writing Tarts in first!

Anonymous said...

Thanks, Christina. I'm over feeling sorry for myself now because I'm about to polish Tarts to send to LBD and I realised that The Husband Hunt doesn't totally suck like I thought it did so after a little polishing, that's going to Richmond.

Amanda Ashby said...

Sending some cyber hugs (not to mention Diet Coke, popcorn and ice-cream) your way. Rejections never stop stinging, but you totally have to send them Husband Hunt. That had a fab start and yay that Tarts is going out again to LBD.

Nell Dixon said...

Hugs, rejections always suck, even 'good' ones. Good for you for getting something else out there.

Monica said...

Thanks Amanda and Nell. I've only got two more chapters of Tarts to polish up (they take the first 100 pages so that's SEVEN chapters!) and then I'll be making a visit to the post office!

Sara Hantz said...

((()))) on the rejection. Great that you can send it to LBD. Fingers crossed.