Sunday, October 01, 2006

allotments

I want an allotment!

This isn't new. This is an idea I fell in love with several years ago. Was it 2003 or 2004? I'm thinking it was 2004. Back then, I decided I wanted to write a book called Ladies Who Lunch about a group of women who share an allotment plot.

I've got their names and a fair amount of their stories worked out. The only thing I can't work out is how to start the story. So I've never started it. No, that's a lie, I've started it twice but I don't like either start.

And way back then I also put my name down on the waiting list for a plot at the local allotments, about five minutes walk from where I live. At the time I was told there was a three year waiting list. I think - but I'm not sure - that I might have given the lady my work number. Since I've changed jobs, I'm thinking I need to call and double check this.

What brought all this back into my mind was my husband. He wanted to order a book from Amazon last week. It was only £10 and he wanted to make the order up to whatever it was that is required to get free shipping. I should have said order me the Janet Evanovich book (How I Write) because I desperately want it but it's only available in the US and has a one to three week shipping wait so I said order me The Allotment Book by Andi Clevely.

Both books arrived yesterday. Well, actually the dh's book arrived on Friday but rather than ring the bell, our postie just left a card in our box saying we weren't home. Which we were. Very annoying. But mine turned up at 8am yesterday and straight after that I went to the sorting center and picked up Daren's.

Then I came home and went back to bed and read the entire book. OK, so I was in bed until some time in the afternoon but I figure that's acceptable since I sent out three mss last week which meant very late nights.

Plan of action for today: ring allotment lady to double check she has my home number and ask how much longer she thinks I'll have to wait, go back to Asda to see if Phillipa Ashley's LBD is out yet (it wasn't yesterday when I looked), read last module of very exciting business course and watched episode two of series seven of CSI.

ps: I swear I posted yesterday. It was one of those celebrity look alike things. I've seen them on a few blogs but finally gave in and followed the link from Ally Blake's blog yesterday only to find that blogger doesn't like the html that I copied from the site. I have no idea how to fix it so the post shall no doubt always remain as a draft that only I can see!

No comments: